Have you ever . . .
• needed to write and/or draw and there is no or marker/chalk in the classroom?
• wanted to write or draw on your monitor to better illustrate your point?
• needed more space than is provided in PowerPoint?
• wanted to record your teaching with a simple software: one click to record and another to stop?
The University of Florida currently has 250 classrooms with the Podium Interactive Pen Display and its software SMART Meeting Pro. The Podium is a monitor sized SMART board with the difference that you use a tethered pen instead of your fingers. The pen is attached to the Podium, and it can be used as a mouse or as a pen for writing, drawing, and painting digital ink on any application while facing your audience. Yes, you can add writing and drawing on your MS Word documents, spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations by using pen-tool buttons.
In addition, you can save what you have added by using the capture camera. This camera is one of the function buttons that can capture the full screen or a selected section of the screen. Don’t you think that the Podium might be easy and useful for you?
SMART Meeting Pro is the software associated with the Podium. It allows you to:
• write notes or draw diagrams during meeting and classroom discussions
• save these notes in your computer as a series of pages
• import text, graphics, clip art, and Macromedia Flash content into your Meeting Pro files
• export these files in image file format, HTML, PDF, or PowerPoint
• increase the working space in your screen
• help the Podium to work with several common applications at the same time
• record sections of your lesson as well as your voice
This combination of Podium and Meeting Pro makes the interaction between the professor and the applications more dynamic. Think about the areas of your lesson plan where you can use these features and improve your teaching and interaction with students. Maybe, do you think of other scenarios where these features would be useful?
We will offer a workshop series at the beginning of every semester on both the Podium and Meeting Pro. Register for these workshops to learn how to use these powerful tools. We are confident that the Podium and Meeting Pro will become so useful that they will be your best technology friends.
If you are interested in the workshops, registration will be available by the end of August at: https://lss.at.ufl.edu/training/register/.