Create a Project Site
From e-Learning Documentation
Anyone with a Gatorlink username has the ability to create a Project Site. A Project site can be a collaboration site for groups of students, faculty, departments, clubs, etc. The Project Site can be made publicly available for anyone with a Gatorlink usernmae. Project Sites do not contain assessment tools such as Assigments and Tests & Quizzes. They also do not contain a Gradebook.
A common use for a Project Site is for Instructors to use it as a place to store files that will be used to construct a course. This method addresses several issues that are present in courses that do not use this method:
- Files I use to build the course are visible to students in the Resources inside my course.
- If you use images in test questions (Tests & Quizzes only. Not if using Assessments.) or other files in the construction of the course, they will be visible in the Resources tool where students can see them. If these files aren't sensitive, you can just hide the Resources tool and use "Lessons" to give content to students. But this method does not guarantee that students cannot access Resources in other ways. If you have sensitive files that you are using to build the course (such as images in test questions that should not be viewed by students prior to the test), the better option is to use a project site to store the files and link to them from within your course. This frees up the Resources tool in your course if you want to use it to distribute files to students.
- If I use the Content Editor in tools to link to images or other files stored in Resources, the link will break when I import the content to future semesters.
- If the files are stored in the Resources in your Project Site, the links will not break because the files themselves never move from one semester to another.
To use a Project Site for file storage, do not make it public. Enroll those people you want to have access to the files in the course as "Facilitators." Upload the files you are going to use in your courses into the Resources in the Project Site. The files need to be made "publicly viewable" so that they can be seen by the students in your course(s).
To create a Project Site:
- Click Worksite Setup
- Click New.
- Select "Project Site" and click Continue.
- Give your site a title (required) and a description if desired.
- Click Continue
- Choose the tools you want to incluce in your Project Site.
- Choose to use material from another site if you want.
- Click Continue.
- Choose whether or not the Project Site will be public. (Anyone with a gatorlink username can join the Project Site if it is public. If it is not public, the Facilitator will enroll participants.)
- Click Continue
- Click Create Site