From e-Learning Documentation
(Created page with "Announcements is a useful tool for getting information out to students. Announcements are listed on the Home Page of the course so it would be difficult for anyone logging into t...")
Newer edit →
Revision as of 15:23, 22 September 2010
Announcements is a useful tool for getting information out to students. Announcements are listed on the Home Page of the course so it would be difficult for anyone logging into the system to miss them. You can also reinforce the message by sending an email to users when you post an Announcement.
Add an Announcement
From the course to which you want to add an Announcement:
- Click on Announcements in the left menu bar.
- Click Add
- Enter a Title for the Announcement
- Enter the text of your Announcement in the "Body" window.
- Choose the access you prefer:
- The default is that the Announcement is only viewable by members of this particular course (site).
- You may select to make the Announcement publicly viewable, which means that it can be accessed without logging in to e-Learning in Sakai. For example, the Instructor could send the URL of this Announcement to a colleague who is not enrolled in this particular course, and the colleague would be able to go to the link. You may also set up an RSS feed to Announcements that are Publicly viewable.
- Choose the availability you prefer:
- By default the Announcement will be available as soon as it is added.
- You may choose to hide the Announcement until you come back to this setting and change it to "Show."
- You may choose to show this Announcement during a specific time frame. Select the Beginning and Ending dates boxes and use the drop-down menus to determine when the Announcement will appear and disappear.
- If you want to add an Attachment to this Announcement:
- Click Add Attachments
- Either browse your computer for the file you want to attach, or if the file is in your Resources folder, locate it at the bottom half of the screen and click Attach a copy to the right of the file.
- Email Notification
- The default is that no email notification is sent.
- From the drop-down menu, you can choose to send a high-priority email which will go to all users regardless of their personal email preference settings.
- From the drop-down menu, you can choose to send a low-priority email which will go to all users unless they have set up their personal email preferences to not receive low-priority email reminders. Those users can also choose to receive a daily digest of low-priority reminders, in which case the Announcement email reminder would be part of the daily digest.
- Click Add Announcement
Assignments and Tests & Quizzes tools offer the option to automatically post an Announcement about the Due Date of a particular Assignment or Assessment. This Announcement will contain a link to the Assignment or Assessment.
The Merge Announcements allows you to choose to show Announcements from any or all other sites in which you are enrolled. If you teach three English courses, you can show Announcements from all three. Be aware that you cannot pick and choose the Announcements from each course that you want to merge. If you choose a course to merge, it will bring in every Announcement from that course, even those that are hidden, though they are also hidden here.
Once your Announcements are merged, students will see the Announcements for the courses in which they are enrolled. To follow our example above, if you teach three graduate level English courses and several of your students are enrolled in all three courses, those students will be able to see the Announcements for all three of the courses. Students who are not enrolled in all three courses, will only see the Announcements for their course(s).
To merge Announcements:
- At the top of the main Announcements screen, click Merge
- Check the box next to the course(s) from which you want to display Announcements
- Click Save