From e-Learning Documentation
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for e-Learning in Canvas
How do I login to e-Learning in Canvas?
Please go to http://lss.at.ufl.edu and click the blue Canvas Login button. You will be prompted for your Gatorlink username and password. If you experience any issues with your username and/or password, please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357.
Which browsers does Canvas support?
Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release. We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whichever browser you are using, as well as the most up-to-date Flash plug-in. As of May 24, 2014, Canvas supports the following desktop browsers and Flash versions:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11
- Chrome 34 and 35
- Safari 6 and 7
- Firefox 28 and 29 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 12 and 13 (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but you are still seeing the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies. Please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357 or visit http://helpdesk.ufl.edu/ if you need assistance with clearing your cache and cookies.
Where do I go for help with using Canvas?
- If you are a Student, please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357.
- If you are an Instructor or Teaching Assistant, please contact e-Learning Support Services at 352-392-4357 option 3 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I create my course in Canvas?
Instructors may request a course submitting a request on the e-Learning course request form. You will receive an email which confirms your request and provides additional information about when your course will be created, how to access it, and links to more information.
Is there a workshop offered for instructors using Canvas?
Yes. You can see our upcoming training offerings at the UFIT Training web site.
How do I add participants to my course?
Your students will be enrolled automatically based on the Registrar database.
You will not be able to add the users from within the Canvas course management system. Instead, you will be able to add these users via the My Canvas Course Management tool in myUFL.
Please see the My Canvas Course Management: Adding Participants How-To Guide for more information on how to use this tool.
If you need additional assistance with getting users enrolled in your course site, please contact e-Learning Support Services either by phone at 352-392-4357 option 3, or by email email@example.com.
- This tool can be used to add TAs to specific sections or subsections; however, please keep in mind that UF Online TAs are still required to complete the TA institute.
- It is possible to add students to the registrar sections of the course, however when the roster is reconciled with the registrar, students who are not properly enrolled in the course will be automatically removed.
How do I add sections to my course?
You will not be able to add the sections from within the Canvas course management system. Instead, you will be able to add sections via the My Canvas Course Management tool in myUFL. The My Canvas Course Management tool allows a course instructor to create non-registrar subsections within a course, as well as add participants (see Adding Participants). The instructor can then add students to the subsections that have been created.
Please see the My Canvas Course Management: Creating Sections How-To Guide for more information on how to use this tool.
- Instructors will not be able to create course shells within Canvas. To request a Canvas course, faculty should use the "Instructor e-Learning Course Request" forms located in the left-hand menu of the LSS homepage.
Can I use Turnitin in Canvas?
What are APPS?
In the "Settings" section of your course, there is a tab that lists many apps which you could add to your course. Apps must be approved by UFIT Security prior to use in Canvas. The list of current Apps that are approved can be found . . . You may not add apps other than those approved on the list.
What is SpeedGrader and how do I use it?
What is the Analytics tool?
What do I need to do to close out my course at the end of the semester?
Your course will close automatically at the end of the semester based on the default semester end dates. If you need to adjust this date to leave your course open longer, in the toolbar:
- Click Settings
- Click Edit Course Details
- Change the "Ends:" date
- Click Update Course Details
You will want to save a copy of your gradebook to your computer for backup and ease of access in the future. Downloading your gradebook is part of the process to submit final grades to Grade-a-Gator.