From e-Learning Documentation
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for e-Learning in Canvas
How do I login to e-Learning in Canvas?
Please go to http://lss.at.ufl.edu and click the blue e-Learning in Canvas button. You will be prompted for your Gatorlink username and password. If you experience any issues with your username and/or password, please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357.
Please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357 or visit http://helpdesk.ufl.edu/ if you need assistance with clearing your cache and cookies.
Where do I go for help with using Canvas?
- If you are a Student, please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are an Teacher, Teaching Assistant, Facilitator, or other instructor-type role, please contact e-Learning Support at 352-392-4357 option 3 or use the "Message Us" button at http://elearning.ufl.edu.
How do I create my course in Canvas?
To request a Canvas course, instructors should use the "Instructor e-Learning Course Request" forms located on the E-Learning Support section of the Helpdesk page. You will receive an email which confirms your request and provides additional information about when your course will be created, how to access it, and links to more information.
Is there a workshop offered for instructors using Canvas?
Yes. You can see all of our upcoming training offerings at the UFIT Training web site.
How do I add participants to my course?
- Students will be enrolled automatically based on the Registrar database.
- You will not be able to add the users from within the Canvas course management system. Instead, you will be able to add these users via the My Canvas Course Management tool in myUFL. Please see the My Canvas Course Management: Adding Participants How-To Guide for more information on how to use this tool.
- If you need additional assistance with getting users enrolled in your course site, please contact e-Learning Support at 352-392-4357 option 3 or use the "Message Us" button at elearning.ufl.edu.
NOTE: UF Online TAs are required to complete the TA Institute. Additionally, while it is possible to add students to the registrar sections of the course, when the roster is reconciled with the registrar, students who are not properly enrolled in the course will be automatically removed.
What participant roles are available in Canvas?
- Student - Can read content, participate in course activities, submit assignments and take quizzes
- Auditor - Identical to student
- Student Mentor - Identical to student
- Teacher - Complete control over all aspects of the course. Can create, revise, and/or delete content and can interact with and grade students. Can enroll participants and make new sections.
- Facilitator - Identical to Teacher
- Teaching Assistant - Identical to Teacher except cannot manage enrollments, learning outcomes, or create new sections
- TA-Non-Grading - Can edit course content, but cannot access student grades
- Designer - Can create all course content, but cannot see student interactions. No access to grades and cannot communicate with students.
- Retention Coach - Can see student names and grades and can message students.
- Guest Lecturer - Can add files and Pages, create Conferences, communicate with students
- Observer - Can view course content, but cannot interact with content or with students
How do I import content from a previous course to my current course?
How do I add sections to my course?
- You will not be able to add the sections from within the Canvas course management system. Instead, you will be able to add sections via the My Canvas Course Management tool in myUFL. The My Canvas Course Management tool allows a course instructor to create non-registrar subsections within a course, as well as adding and removing participants. The instructor can then add participants to the subsections that have been created.
- Please see the My Canvas Course Management: Creating Sections How-To Guide for more information on how to use this tool.
NOTE: Instructors will not be able to create course shells within Canvas. To request a Canvas course, instructors should use the "Instructor e-Learning Course Request" forms located at UF Computing Help Desk.
How do I remove participants from my course?
- You will not be able to remove users from within the Canvas course management system. Instead, you will be able to remove these users via the My Canvas Course Management tool in myUFL. Please refer to the My Canvas Course Management: Adding Participants How-To Guide for more information on how to use this function of the tool.
- If you need additional assistance with removing users from your course site, please contact e-Learning Support Services at 352-392-4357 option 3 or use the "Message Us" button at elearning.ufl.edu.
Can I use Turnitin in Canvas?
Yes, the Turnitin (TII) API is integrated within the UF e-Learning in Canvas instance. This integration allows access to Turnitin Originality Checking without having to leave the Canvas environment or log into Turnitin directly. Please see the Assignments tutorial on how to use Turnitin in an Assignment.
What are APPS?
In the "Settings" section of your course, there is a tab that lists many apps which you could add to your course. These apps can be used to add new features to your particular Canvas course. Apps must be approved by UFIT Security prior to use in Canvas. The current apps that are supported can be found on our Current LTIs page. You may not add apps other than those approved on the list.If you have an idea for an app that you think should be integrated into Canvas, you can submit that idea here.
What do I need to do to close out my course at the end of the semester?
Your course will close automatically at the end of the semester based on the default semester end dates. If you need to adjust this date to leave your course open longer, in the toolbar:
- Click Settings
- Click Edit Course Details
- Change the "Ends:" date
- Click Update Course Details
How do I submit my final grades to Grade-a-Gator from the Canvas Gradebook?
Please visit the Format CSV file for Grade-A-Gator form. The following instructions are also available via this page. If you have further questions regarding Grade-a-Gator, please contact your departmental Grade-a-Gator Coordinator.
Step 1: Export CSV File from Canvas NOTE: Before exporting your grades, make sure your grade scheme has been established:
- Login to Canvas
- Click Settings in the left toolbar
- Click Edit Course Details
- Check the Enable course grading scheme box
- Click set grading scheme
- On the screen that opens, click the pencil icon to edit.
- Adjust the grades to your grading scheme
- Click Save
- Review your grades for accuracy.
- To download the Grades:
- Click Grades in the left toolbar
- Click the Export button at the upper right of the screen to download scores (.csv)
Step 2: Upload the CSV File
- Enter the Credit Hours, and Browse for the CSV File.
- Click the Format File button
Step 3: Download and Review formatted CSV File
- Download and Review Grade-a-Gator formatted file. Make sure to inspect any rows that are mentioned in the Alerts generated to the right.
How do I Give Special Access to an assessment?
How do I Give Extended Due Date for Some Students in Quizzes and/or Assignments?
The process for setting Open, Due, and Accept Until Dates for Quizzes and Assignments is based on the section in which a student is enrolled. By default, these dates are set for "Everyone," but you can set different dates for different sections. This ability allows you to give different dates to a specific student or a subset of students. In your course, you are given a "MISC" (which stands for Miscellaneous) section that you may use for this purpose. This tutorial will describe for you how to add student(s) to the MISC section. This Canvas Guide provides instructions on how to set the Open, Due, and Accept Until dates once you have the students in the Section.
If you are utilizing Scanning Services, you will receive an e-mail containing the link to the Scanning Services portal. Here you will be able to obtain your output .zip file. Your .zip file will contain a no_match.txt file and a .csv file. Within the Scanning Services portal you will see the following:
a. Your scanning services tab will show your available downloads
b. Your scans by default will be listed in chronological order starting with the most recent scans.
c. Clicking on any of the headers (except file download) will sort the table according to the clicked header.
d. To download your zip file click on the file name in the file download column.
e. The search box will search the whole table for the inputted value.
f. The number of items included in the table may be increased by selecting a larger number located in the drop down menu directly to the right of the search box.
g. The 2nd button to the right of the search box is the place where you can hide different table columns.
h. At the bottom of the page you will find buttons that will move you to the next page.
How do I upload scantron data into Canvas?
When you drop off your materials to Scanning Services
- your grade files in the form of a .zip file (containing: *_[COURSENAME]*.csv, *no_match.txt, *student_not_in_class.txt) will be available in your Canvas Course File storage in a locked (non-student visible) folder called "scanning_services"
- you will have the option to elect to have the grades automatically uploaded into your Canvas course Gradebook
If you choose to manually import this information into Canvas, you will need to do the following:
- Download and unzip your output files from Scanning Services.
- In your Canvas course, in Grades, select "Import" > "Browse."
- Select the .csv file you received from Scanning Services. Click Upload Data.
- Canvas will prompt you to either select an existing column in Grades or create a new one. If you're entering a new one, it will ask the points possible for the item. When done, click Continue.
- Canvas will present a list of students and their scores for the teacher to check. Any problem rows will display here for troubleshooting. If it all looks good, click Save Changes.