From e-Learning Documentation
Last updated: 10-21-2010
How do I get started?
How do I request a course for Sakai?
If you are a faculty or staff member you may request a course by completing are course request form found at https://lss.at.ufl.edu/forms/choose.shtml.
What if my students or I can't view PDF's?
Firefox and Chrome browsers have been freezing or not displaying some PDF files. We have identified three workarounds to address this issue.
- Right click the file or link and select save link as option and save the file to your computer before viewing
- Use a different browser such as Internet Explorer or Safari as we have not seen the PDF issue with these browsers
- If you are using Firefox or Chrome you can install a PDF plugin for your browser to prevent this issue from occurring
- Configure your browser to prompt for file download instead of opening documents in the browser
What if my students or I get a 403 error?
403 errors are caused by links to pages that do not exist, have been moved, renamed, or links to pages that the user trying to view the file does not have permission to view in most cases students.
- You have copied content from another course and all HTML links point to the old course resources and not the new course resources. ##Re-link all HTML links so that they point to the new course resource files and not the old course resource files
- If the files are html pages in resources then using relative links instead of absolute links is an option
- Relative example: gator.gif
- Absolute example: https://elearning2.courses.ufl.edu/access/content/group/f7175ce2-246d-4dbc-82ca-79a33b7e8b5c/gator.gif
- You have linked to a page that does not exist
- You have moved a page in your resources folder
- You have renamed a page in the resources folder
How do I add users or participants to my course?
How do I use Turnitin in Sakai?
- Click on the Assignments tool
- Click the Add button
- Change student submissions to attachments only as inline text will not generate a Turnitin report
- Select the check box next to 'Use Review Service' or 'TurnItIn'
- Modify other settings as desired
- Reports may take from 15 minutes to 24 hours or longer once a student submits a paper
- The uploaded file format should be word, pdf, or text as some file formats will not generate a report
How do I import grades from Scantron or Excel?
How do I change my grade scale to not use A+?
- Go to Gradebook not Gradebook 2
- Click course grade options from the top menu
- Modify scale accordingly (Most people just make A+ greater than 100 percent)