From e-Learning Documentation
The Feedback tool is useful for securely providing any type of information to individual students by importing the information from a .csv file into eLearning in Sakai. While you can provide feedback using the Gradebook, Gradebook 2, Assignments, Assessments and Tests & Quizzes, the feedback tool provides other opportunities to distribute information. One example might be to display weekly progress comments to students. One instructor reports that it is an effective way to share a grading rubric with the students. We will use the example of a grading rubric for this tutorial.
Create a .csv file for import into Feedback
You must begin with a .csv file that contains the student usernames. This is easily accomplished by downloading your Gradebook, Gradebook 2, or Roster.
- Click Gradebook
- Click All Grades
- Click Export as CSV at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click Gradebook 2
- Click Tools > Export > Only Grades > as CSV(.csv)
- Click Roster
- Click Export at the upper right corner of the screen.
Add Feedback to the CSV File
- Open the file you downloaded from one of the above sources. The file will be displayed in MS Excel. There will be columns other than the student username and student name. You can delete those.
- To use this tool as a grading rubric for an Assignment, label each column with a part of the rubric. For example, Citation 10%, Grammar 10%, Position Statement 15%, Support for Position 25%, Evidence and Examples 25%, Closing Paragraph 15%, Total Grade 100%.
- Enter your comments beside each student's name for each of these topics. You can also include the points awarded for each item. Example
- Save the spreadsheet with a name that identifies it as your Feedback spreadhsheet. Note that when you save, you will get a warning saying that the file may contain features that are not compatible with CSV. Answer Yes to that warning.
- Close the file
- Click Feedback in the left menu bar.
- Click Add at the top of the screen.
- "Title" - Enter a descriptive title, such as "Grading Rubric for Assignment 1"
- Click Choose File
- Locate the file and double-click it.
- If you want this Feedback released immediately, check the "Release feedback to participants?" box.
- Click Post
Once you have a Feedback item in the system, you can update it rather than adding new feedback. Instead of clicking "Add," click "Update" beside the Feedback item. Browse for your updated .csv file. This will overwrite the original Feedback posting.