My Canvas Course Management: Creating Sections
From e-Learning Documentation
NOTE: Faculty, Courtesy Faculty, Emeritus, UF Executive, or Clinical Faculty (as defined by myUFL role UF_HR_Faculty) have access to this tool. Staff members, who are not defined by myUFL role UF_HR_Faculty, may request the role UF_SA_CANVAS_TEACHER_CRSE_MGMT via your Department Security Administrator. If you do not know who your Department Security Administrator is, please contact the UF Computing Help Desk by phone at 352-392-4357. Please also note that you MUST be enrolled as a Teacher in the e-Learning in Canvas course in order to make changes to the participants and/or sections using this tool.
How-To Create Sections
1. Login to my.ufl.edu
2. Navigate to Main Menu > UF Campus Solutions > Online Learning > My Canvas Course Management in my.ufl.edu
3. A list of course will be displayed where you have been designated as Teacher in Canvas. Please select a course from the list.
4. In the Section drop-down menu:
- Select *Create Section
5. After selecting *Create Section, the page opens up Create Section field.
- Enter a name for your section and press the Create Section button
NOTE: Your section will appear in Canvas immediately. Only students who are enrolled in the course can be assigned in your new section.
6. You can add participants to the new section by selecting the new section from the Section drop-down menu. After selecting a section, the page opens up a box where you can enter (or paste) a list of UFIDs. Alternatively, you can skip the box and enter each UFID in the grid at the bottom of the page. This is useful if you are organizing work groups for your entire course and are working off of a class roll.
- After the UFIDs have been entered:
- Select the role you want to assign all of these UFIDs
- Select the enrollment status (add/drop)
- Then press Parse UFIDs.
- After you are finished adding UFIDs, press the Process Enrollment Request button.
7. A message box will let you know if your transactions were accepted or if there are any issues that need fixing before continuing.
8. It takes a few minutes for the enrollments to process and appear in Canvas.