From e-Learning Documentation
When your course for a new semester has been created, you will receive an email letting you know that the course has been created.
Login to e-Learning in Sakai
Go to http://lss.at.ufl.edu/ to login to e-Learning in Sakai. Login using your gatorlink username and password. If you have difficulty logging in, contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357.
e-Learning in Sakai Help
We offer several types of help in using the e-Learning in Sakai system:
- Tutorials, FAQs, Known Issues - There is a tutorial for each tool, plus general information. The entire site is searchable so that you can easily find the information you are looking for.
- Live Training - Several courses are offered that provide hands-on training for using e-Learning in Sakai.
- One-on-One Help - Contact the Learning Support Services staff during the hours of 8am-5pm Monday-Friday by calling (352)392-4357, option 3. Or you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If writing, please provide your UFID and how you would like for us to contact you.
Help for Students Using e-Learning
We have added a WebLink called "Student FAQ" to the toolbar in your course that will provide students with the information they need to use e-Learning in Sakai and information about contacting the UF Computing Help Desk for help with computer-related problems.
We have also provided a 10-question quiz based on the Student FAQ list. Giving the quiz to students will ensure that they have read the FAQs and understand the things they need to be aware of when using e-Learning. You may include this quiz as part of their grade at your discretion. You may publish the quiz in Tests & Quizzes or in Assessments.
Tasks for Preparing New Semester
You will have some tasks to complete to prepare your new course for use. You will need to create or upload content for your course, or you may import content if you used e-Learning in Sakai in a previous semester. It is very important that you understand the Resources tool before you begin to upload your content there. This tool and content uploaded into it is, by default, available to students. Do not put sensitive information in the Resources tool.
There are tutorials for each tool at http://lss.at.ufl.edu/help.
Edit Your Home Page
We provide a link to this tutorial on your Home Page. You should modify the Home Page to reflect information about your course.
Edit Site Info
The Site Info tool is very powerful for the instructor. It provides the ability to create groups, enroll users, add, remove, hide and unhide tools, among many other things. But to the students, it simply shows a few lines about the course. If you have your contact information in other places, such as your syllabus, you may just want to hide the "Site Info" tool from students. OR, you may update the Site Info with your contact information and leave it available to students.
To edit your contact information in Site Info:
- Click Site Info in the left menu bar.
- Click Edit Site Information at the top of the page.
- You may edit the content on your Home Page by entering text in the Content Editor
- "Contact Name:" Enter the Instructor name, or the name of the primary contact for the course.
- "Contact Email:" Enter the email address of the above person.
- Click Continue
- Click Finish
Edit Course Toolbar
Remove, Hide or Add tools to the Course Toolbar to reflect the tools you will use this semester.
Import Content from a Previous Semester
If you used e-Learning in Sakai in previous semesters and have content that you want to reuse, you can import that from the previous course.
Associate Section Roster(s)
Students are associated with your course based on the section number. For students to be enrolled in your course, you will need to associate your rosters with your course.
*Section rosters are not populated with students until a few days before the semester starts.
Enroll TAs or other Participants
Your students are loaded automatically when you add the roster(s). But you will need to add any TA(s) or other non-student roles that you want to have access to your course.