From e-Learning Documentation
Polls are useful for gathering anonymous opinions from participants and then sharing the data with the class. You might ask them to give their opinion about a bill before Congress, or a new technology or a well-balanced meal - questions in which there may not be an exact answer, but several viewpoints can be argued. The questions are always presented in multiple-choice format.
NOTE: Polls are available for ALL participants, not just students. Instructor-type roles may participate also.
To create a Poll:
- Click Polls in the left menu bar.
- Click Add at the top of the screen.
- "Question" - Enter the question as it should appear to the students
- Use the Content Editor to provide additional instructions if needed.
- Choose an "Opening Date" when the Poll will become available to participants by clicking the Calendar icon and choosing a date. Enter a time in the next box for the "Opening Date."
- Choose a "Closing Date" when the Poll will no longer be available to participants by clicking the Calendar icon and choosing a date. Enter a time in the next box for the "Closing Date."
- "Limits" - choose the minimum and maximum number of answers in the drop-down menus.
- "Results are visible:" Select when you want participants to see the results.
- Click Save and add options
- Enter an answer option in the Content Editor and click Save and add options.
- The Content Editor is cleared so that you can enter your next answer option. Enter your next answer option and click Save and add options.
- Repeat steps 10 and 11 until you have all the options entered. Click Save.
- You are returned to the screen accessed in step 3. You see your answer options listed. You may Edit or Delete each option by clicking Edit or Delete to the right of each option. There is an Add Option link if you need to add answer options. Click Save.
Participate in a Poll
Polls that are available for voting will be hyperlinked. Polls that are past their "Closing Date" or for which you have already voted, will not be hyperlinked. To vote:
- Click the name of the poll
- Select the option for which you want to vote.
- Click Vote!
- You will see a "Thank you for voting!" message and a reference number.
- Click Back
View Results of a Poll
Click Results to the right of the Poll to view how many votes each option received.
Permissions for all tools have been set to most common usage. It is highly recommended that you do not alter these Permissions without a consultation with LSS staff. Altering Permissions may have unintended consequences.