Re-use Content in New Semester
From e-Learning Documentation
Content you've created in one semester can be imported into your course for the new semester. This tutorial will provide instructions for the most efficient methods of re-using content from one semester to the next.
You do not have to import all content from a previous semester. You choose to import content from specific tools. For example, you may choose to import your Reources, Lessons and Assignments, but not your Calendar or Discussions.
Some tools have no content to import - such as the "Feedback" tool which is student specific. Since the same students are not in the new course, there is no content in Feedback that can be imported into the new course.
|Tools That Can be Imported||Tools That Cannot Be Imported|
|RSS Feeds||Section Info|
|Tests & Quizzes|
Before you import your content from a previous semester, you want to make sure your new course has all the tools you will be importing. For example, if you used "Lessons" in your previous semester, make sure "Lessons" has been added to the toolbar in the current course. If the tool is not in both courses, you will not have the option to import content from that tool.
In the new course:
- Click Site Info in the left menu bar.
- Click Import from Site in the top menu bar.
- "I would like to replace my data" Any existing data will be overwritten, replaced by your import data. This method allows you to import Gradebook settings such as categories and associated weights. This is the choice most Instructors will want to use for copying content from a previous semester.
- "I would like to merge my data" Your import data will merge with existing data. Does not allow import of Gradebook settings. You would use this option if you have created new Assignments or other content and you want the imported data to merge with this content instead of replacing it.
- If you want to use this option, but still import your gradebook, you can merge your data first, then come back and replace your data and only select "Gradebook."
- "I would like to merge my users" Your imported users will merge with existing users. This would only be useful in non-registrar courses where all participants will be enrolled in the new course as well as the old.
- Click option 1 or 2
- Select the course that contains the content you want to import and click Continue.
- Check the box beside the tool(s) from which you want to import content.
- Click Finish
Prepare Imported Content for the Current Semester
Your imported content will need to be prepared for the current semester. This tutorial will list each tool and outline the preparation needed to re-use the content.
Announcements from the previous semester come into the new semester as "hidden." There will be an "edit" link underneath each Announcement.
- Click edit and make any needed changes, such as dates when the Announcement will be viewable, etc.
- Change "Availability" to "Show"
- Click Save Changes
Assignments from the previous semester come into the new semester as "draft."
- Click Edit under the name of the Assignment.
- Adjust the Open, Due and Accept Until dates for the new semester.
- Check "Use Turnitin" and "Allow students to view reports if desired."
- Grading - if this is a graded Assignment, you may leave it at the default of "Add Assignment to Gradebook" which will create a column in the gradebook once the Assignment is published. Or if you have a column in the Gradebook that you want to associate with this Assignment, select "Associate with Existing Gradebook Item" and choose the column from the drop-down menu.
- Make any other desired adjustments to the settings and click Post.
Assessments from the previous semester come into the new semester as "unpublished."
- Click the PublishFile:Assessments-publish.pngicon