From e-Learning Documentation
11 August 2011 (EDT)
Please note that Sundays from Midnight to 9AM is designated as the routine maintenance window for e-Learning in Sakai. While we typically try to use this maintenance window infrequently, if we need to do maintenance we try to work during this time. Thus, instructors should not schedule work to be completed during or soon after this window nor should students expect to be able to submit assignments or complete quizzes.
--Narasi 09:32, 11 August 2011 (EDT) August 11th, 2011
New tools and features incorporated -
• Dropbox - Allows for sharing files privately between instructor-type roles and students.
• Resources - now has Selective Release feature that can be tied to gradebook criteria
• Sign-up - Students can sign up for a time period - such as Instructor Office Hours, or a time to present a project.Please note that the Sign-up tool will not be available to courses created prior to August 10th 2011. Please call LSS staff at 392-4357 option 3 to get this tool enabled or send us a message with the course and section details so we can can enable this for you.
• Assessment - Can now edit published tests, even questions that are randomly drawn from a question pool. Changes will regrade any submitted assessment with the corrected information.You may also add questions directly into an exam without creating a question pool.
• Link to Parent Site - Site Info now have Link to Parent Site option, this allows one to establish a parent/child relationship between 2 sites This is a display only feature currently This does not implement hierarchical inheritance of Authorizations - simply the hierarchical display of sites and subsites.
• Special Access option in Lessons - Special Access to Modules can be now given to individuals. While several individuals may be selected, you cannot access the Groups that were created in Sakai.
• Profile - Profile now provides social networking options and allows status updates to be sent to Twitter.
If you wish to deploy any of these tools you may do so after the new version is deployed, this deployment is tentatively scheduled to be available from August 10th 2011.
List of Bugs and Features Addressed
• Site Stats tool can no longer be removed from course toolbar.
Details - The Site Stat tool does not record events if it is not present on the toolbar. So it is not possible to add the Site Stat tool half-way through the semester to see stats from earlier in the semester. To prevent this from happening we have made it impossible to remove the tool. This tool is only available for instructor-type roles and does not appear to students.
• Honor pledge in Assignments matches UF Honor Pledge.
• Add Roster(s) message updated.
Details - In Sakai, only the Instructor has the ability to add the roster to the course, though many other people consistently try to do it, creating errors and duplicate course requests. We adjusted the message on the "Add Rosters" link to clearly explain what someone needs to do if they do not see the roster they are trying to add.
• Spaces in file name no longer a problem in the Discussion and Mail tool attachments.
Details - There has been a Known Issue involving attachments to the Discussion or Mail tools. If there were spaces in the file name, the recipient could not open the attachment.
• "Link to parent site" works well when used with UFL skin, but does not display properly in the UFL2 skin.
Details - A new feature called "Link to Parent Site" allows one to establish a Parent/ Child relation between 2 sites. This new features does not work well with the UFL2 skin and we are working on a fix for this. If you plan to use this feature you may want to use the UFL skin.
• UF Grade scale incorporated in Gradebook and Gradebook 2.
Details - Until now, instructors had to change the grading scale to override the A+ grade. There was no way to change the "F" to an "I" or an "E." We have changed the default grading scale to a "UF Grade Scale" that eliminates the A+ grade and changes the "F" to an "E." Please note that this new scale will NOT be available to all courses in Fall 2011. Courses sites created after August 10th 2011 will be able to access this scale.
• Gatorlink username change pilot testing.
Details - A patch to accommodate pilot testing of Gatorlink username changes has been incorporated in this version. If the testing turns out to be successful we will be able to offer Gatorlink username changes.
• Compatibility with IE9.
Details - A patch has been implemented to force "Compatibility View" in the IE browser. People will no longer have the ability to turn Compatibility View on or off in Sakai. It will be on at all times.
• Dynamic skin to categorize courses by their term.
Details - A new skin has been contributed by the College of Business that will replace the "More" drop-down menu with a "My Active Sites" menu in the course tabs. This new skin will automatically sort one's courses by the term.
• Students can create Blogs.
Details - Previously, instructors had to change the permission for the Blogs tool to allow students to create a Blog. Now the default permissions allow students to create Blogs.
• Spell checker works in HTML editor when using IE If plug-in for IE is installed.
Details - ieSpell is free for personal use, if one clicks the spell check icon in the html editor they will be prompted to download and install the ieSpell personal use version for free. http://www.iespell.com/download.php Once this plug-in is installed successfully users can use the spell check feature in IE within the html editor.
• Assessment will allow edits for published quizzes and some additional enhancements.
Details - You will be able to edit published quizzes/exams in Assessments. The questions can be standalone questions or randomly drawn from a question pool. You can also edit the point value for individual questions drawn from a question pool when creating an exam. Also, the use of question pools is not required. Questions can be directly entered into a test.
• Goal Management tool removed.
Details - This tool has never functioned.
(June 21, 2011)
This update fixed the Known Issue where file attachments to the Mail tool and the Discussions tool could not be opened if the file had spaces in the file name.
Attachments should now open with no problems.
Mid Fall 1.2.3 Build
(October 24, 2010)
- Unpublished icon is now displayed
- Published/attempted quizzes can be edited and auto re-grade possible for some quizzes (if a quiz uses a question pool the edit has to be made to the question pool question and it did not flow into the quiz however stand-alone questions can be edited and regarded)here's the updates page now
- The confusion caused by adding users with their email ID has been removed, the “Add Participants” only allows one to add users based on their UFID’s or gatorlink usernames
- Journal tool has been put back
- Turnitin name restored in Assignment tool