View As Student
From e-Learning Documentation
This page will contain information and best practices related to viewing your course site as a student. In general, the "View Site as: Student" option is simply a view, whereas the "Test Drive" (for example) in Assessments allows you to actually participate as a student. So be aware of the differentiation - view vs. participate.
- Group Settings
- A number of tools have the option to set Group settings. You are not able to preview or view the site as a student in a specific group.
- If necessary, the best way to verify group settings is
- Enroll a colleague or TA into the course site as a Student
- Put them in a specific group
- Collaborate with that person
- Why doesn't View Site As: Student always work?
- A number of tools have built in Preview modes and View Modes that allow an instructor to test what a Student would see, and in some regards allows you to participate as the student as well as view as student.
- There are a very limited number of scenarios in which it is not possible to see an accurate Student View.
- Ensure that all images, links, and content added to the Home tool have the necessary permissions granting students view access.
- All images and links from a previous course site will need to be updated. Importing the Home tool
- This is not an exact Student View. Announcements that are grayed out are NOT displayed to a student.
Two ways to view as student
- Use the View Site As: and select Student from the dropdown(Located in the top right of your browser window. This is a simple view.
- Use Test Drive on the menu across the top within the Assessments tool. This provides the ability to participate as a student.
- If you have selected the lockdown browser the Test Drive will run without the lockdown.
Two ways to view as student
- Use Student View on the menu across the top within the Assignments tool.
- Neither view will show you how the Assignment will look if it is assigned to a group.
- You will be able to see all Calendar events displayed for specific groups
- If you write a message in Student View, you will still be the poster
- If a Forum or Topic is limited to a specific group(s), and the Student Role does not have permissions, these Forums or Topics will not appear in Student View. Although, students in the specified groups will be able to access them.
- Anything saved as a "Draft" is appropriately not displayed in Student View
View Site As: Student gives you a view of only your folder. It gives you an accurate experience of a student, but does not show a specific student.
- Click on a Student's name to get an accurate view of what files that student has access to.
View Site As: Student does not function for this tool.
- Click the "view participant" link to see exactly what each student will view for a specific item
- Students have the same experience, of viewing one item at a time. Here is a screenshot of an actual Student:
An instructor, facilitator, or TA has the ability to view exactly what each student would see in the Gradebook tool.
- Navigate to the Gradebook tool
- Click "All Grades" link at the top of the tool
- Click the name of a student
- Click the link in the top right of the tool labeled "Student's Name View of Grades"
- You should now see exactly what your student will see in the Gradebook tool
An instructor, facilitator, or TA has the ability to view exactly what each student would see in the Gradebook 2 tool.
- Click the name of a student on the right portion of the tool
- Click the button labeled "View As Student" on the bottom right of the tool
- You should now see exactly what your student will see in the Gradebook 2 tool
Use the View Site As: Student from the dropdown. (Located in the top right of your browser window)
- The 'View' tab in Lessons tool does not function as a Student View
- The Mail tool does not differ for a student. The interface and functionality are the same.
- The Results link is always displayed for an Instructor, even in Student View. The link will appear for a student based on the settings of the poll.
- If you hide this tool from students, while in Student View you will notice the tool is not present in the tool list.
- Group specific meetings do not display in Student View. Students in a respective group would be able to view these meetings though.
- This tool is hidden from students. While in Student View you will notice the tool is not present in the tool list.
Tests & Quizzes
- Assessments available only to selected groups will NOT appear in Student View. Although, students in the respective group(s) would have access.
- If you begin an assessment in Student View, In Progress count will be incremented by 1
- If you submit an assessment in Student View, Submitted count will be incremented by 1
Use the View Site As: and select Student from the dropdown
By default, Students have the same permissions as Instructors besides the ability to modify permissions. Therefore, a Student View isn't necessary for this tool besides on the Info page: