View As Student
From e-Learning Documentation
This page will contain information and best practices related to viewing your course site as a student.
- Group Settings
- A number of tools have the option to set Group settings. You are not able to preview or view the site as a student in a specific group.
- If necessary, the best way to verify group settings is
- Enroll a colleague or TA into the course site as a Student
- Put them in a specific group
- Collaborate with that person
- Why doesn't View Site As: Student always work?
- A number of tools have built in Preview modes and View Modes that allow an instructor to test what a Student would see.
- There are a limited amount of scenario's in which it is not possible to see an accurate Student View.
- Ensure that all images, links, and content added to the Home tool have the necessary permissions granting students view access.
- All images and links from a previous course site will need to be updated. Importing the Home tool
- This is not an exact Student View. Announcements that are grayed out are NOT displayed to a student.
Two ways to view as student
- Use the View Site As: and select Student from the dropdown. (Located in the top right of your browser window) or
- Use Test Drive on the menu across the top within the Assessments tool.
Two ways to view as student
- Use Student View on the menu across the top within the Assignments tool.
- You will be able to see all Calendar events displayed for specific groups
- If you write a message in Student View, you will still be the poster
- If a Forum or Topic is limited to a specific group(s), and the Student Role does not have permissions, these Forums or Topics will not appear in Student View. Although, students in the specified groups will be able to access them.
- Anything saved as a "Draft" is appropriately not displayed in Student View
View Site As: Student gives you a view of only your folder. It gives you an accurate experience of a student, but does not show a specific student.
- Click on a Student's name to get an accurate view of what files that student has access to.
View Site As: Student does not function for this tool.
- Click the "view participant" link to see exactly what each student will view for a specific item
- Here is a screenshot of an actual Student. They have the same experience, of viewing one item at a time.
An instructor, facilitator, or TA has the ability to view exactly what each student would see in the Gradebook tool.
- Navigate to the Gradebook tool
- Click "All Grades" link at the top of the tool
- Click the name of a student
- Click the link in the top right of the tool labeled "Student's Name View of Grades"
- You should now see exactly what your student will see in the Gradebook tool
An instructor, facilitator, or TA has the ability to view exactly what each student would see in the Gradebook 2 tool.
- Click the name of a student on the right portion of the tool
- Click the button labeled "View As Student" on the bottom right of the tool
- You should now see exactly what your student will see in the Gradebook 2 tool
For managing individual podcast and podcast feed information
- If you hide this tool from students, while in Student View you will notice the tool is not present in the tool list.
For enabling online registration for meetings and other events.
- This tool is hidden from students. While in Student View you will notice the tool is not present in the tool list.
Tests & Quizzes
Use the View Site As: and select Student from the dropdown